Friday 30 November 2007

Three of a Kind #22

film scoresI love films. I could rabbit on about them for some considerable time. I also love film soundtracks and scores. This three of a kind entry is dedicated to three of my favourite bits of film scoring. I had to leave Ennio Morricone out of my choices otherwise it would have been a fourty-two of a kind, and I haven't chosen anything from musicals either. I am a bit of a fan of musicals (is that another one of my guilty secrets that slipped out?) but that's for a different entry, I think.

Anyway, first we have my favourite thing about Spartacus - the love theme. I was probably a bit moody and distracted while I was watching this film, thus I had a rather curmudgeonly reaction to one of the greatest epic films ever made. Given its flawless cast and genius director, I think the fault may be with me! But even in my grumpy state, I was moved by this beautiful piece of music by talented and versatile composer Alex North.

Alex North - Spartacus Love Theme mp3 (available for 7 days)

Next is a more modern score (1993) from The Six Degrees Of Separation. I couldn't get Jerry Goldsmith's catchy, snooty tango out of my head for days!

Jerry Goldsmith - Ouisa And Flan mp3 (available for 7 days)

Finally, (and I'm sorry about the sound quality on this one) here's one of the most exciting pieces of music to ever open a film, in my opinion. Hitchcock films always have appropriate and striking scores, but I absolutely love this one. Bernard Hermann is a legend!

Bernard Hermann - North By Northwest mp3 (available for 7 days)

You can buy albums by the featured composers and also the films these tracks came from at amazon.co.uk

No comments: