Saturday 23 February 2008

Are you ready to be heartbroken?

One song, two great (cover) versions. Which one's your favourite?

Saint Etienne - Only Love Can Break Your Heart mp3 (available for 7 days)

Mint Juleps - Only Love Can Break Your Heart mp3 (available for 7 days)



I'd always considered Saint Etienne's take on it to be pretty much unbeatable, until recently, when I belatedly discovered the Mint Juleps 1986 version, and now I'm not so sure. I'm a sucker for all-female a cappella choirs, after all - as anyone who's witnessed me banging on about The Sweptaways on here at regular intervals will testify! - so it's a tough call. Help me out here, gang!

(the ironic thing in all this is that, much as I love this song, I'm still yet to hear the Neil Young original. Now there's tardiness.)

You can buy music from today's featured artists here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw the Mint Juleps in about 86, supporting Lenny Henry on a stand-up tour, strangely enough. They were impressive.