Thursday 12 September 2013

The Best of 1994

Well, I say the best of 1994 but it's actually the best of 1994 according to me. Just to clarify. On occasion in the nineties I'd put together a compilation C90 at the end of the year of my favourite songs from whatever that particular year happened to be. I'll probably post a few of these but '94 seemed like a good place to start as it was a bit of a stonker. Suede, Radiohead, Manic Street Preachers, Shampoo, P.J. And Duncan; none of these band made the cut. So who did? Brace yerselves (and click on any of the highlighted tracks to listen to/watch a performance of that song)...

A Side

Lush - Hypocrite
Echobelly - Father, Ruler, King, Computer
Sebadoh - Rebound
Smudge - The Outdoor Type
My Life Story - Funny Ha Ha
Daryll-Ann - I Could Never Love You
Pulp - Babies
Boo Radleys - Barney And Me
Green Day - Longview
Aimee Mann - I Should've Known
Cranberries - Linger
Thrum - So Glad
Dinosaur Jr - Feel The Pain
Tindersticks E-Type Joe

B Side

Echobelly - Insomniac
Sleeper - Delicious
Madder Rose - Panic On
Magnapop - Slowly, Slowly
Oasis - Supersonic
Pulp - Lipgloss
Inspiral Carpets & Mark E. Smith - I Want You
Blur - Parklife
Crowded House - Locked Out
Smudge - Desmond
Kristin Hersh - Uncle June And Aunt Kiyoti
Beastie Boys - Get It Together
Blur - Supa Shoppa

So there you go. A bit Evening Session-heavy in places, I'll grant you, but I still stand by everything on there. Special mention must go to Panic On for actually sounding better than ever, all these years on. I've mentioned it before but I properly loved Madder Rose. Why weren't they huge? Why?!

No comments: