Tuesday 4 December 2007

Three of a kind #23

Before I start, let's get one thing straight...I'm pretty good at spelling. I won a certificate for it when I was seven or eight. You won't find any smelling pistakes in my blog entries, oh no! But I have a slight problem. Whenever I try to spell in song - which doesn't happen all that frequently, to be honest - I can't do it. I just get all muddled up under the pressure of rhythm and melody! I first discovered my affliction whilst watching epic musical Oklahoma when I found myself spelling out O-K-L-A-M-A-H-A-M-A. No matter how many times I hear that song I can't spell the flipping state correctly. So today's three of a kind songs all contain spelling.

To begin with we have New York band Morningwood and this irresistably catchy guitar-pop number during which they spell their name out (namechecking your own band is a bit of a nono, but this is good, so I'll let them off!).

Morningwood - Nth Degree mp3 (available for 7 days)

Next is an ode to America's capital city (home of the songwriter's beloved) courtesy of New York-based Stephin Merritt's Magnetic Fields. I can manage to spell the D.C. bit alright...

Magnetic Fields - Washington, D.C. mp3 (available for 7 days)

And finally a Christmas song. The theme from terrible, terrible film Santa Claus Conquers The Martians, in fact. Only this version is by wacky funsters Señor Tonto. (Yes, the song does fit the description of the band but it's jolly good fun!)
So...you spell it S-A-N-T-A-C-L-A-U-S, by you say it Santy Claus, got that?

Señor Tonto - Hooray For Santa Claus mp3 (right click and save as)

You can buy music by the featured artists from their websites, so please follow the links.

Happy spelling, folks!

1 comment:

Kippers said...

Help! I can't get that Senor Tonto song out of my head!

That entry was G-R-E-A-T, B-T-W!