Monday 29 October 2007

"We'll find a voice for you"

Astrid WilliamsonAstrid (Williamson, not to be confused with Astrid the band) has released three solo records but two of them have gone entirely unnoticed by me - and probably the world at large. The first time I heard Astrid singing was when she was in one album wonders Goya Dress. They released Rooms, which was produced by John Cale, on Nude records in 1996 and disbanded that same year. A few years later, fellow band members Terry De Castro and Simon Pearson went on to join David Gedge-fronted Cinerama and Astrid went solo.

Goya Dress - Glorious (slow version) mp3 (available for 7 days)

She released her debut album, I Am The Boy For You, (also on Nude records) in 1998. It must have had some amount of backing behind it because I'm sure I remember seeing the video for the album's title track on ITV's Chart Show once. Incidentally, does anyone know if that song was influenced by the film Stella Does Tricks? It's been so long since I saw it that I can hardly remember what happens, but at the time I saw the film, I was fairly sure they were linked somehow.

Astrid - I Am The Boy For You mp3 (available for 7 days)

Astrid - If I Loved You mp3 (available for 7 days)

Anyway, for some reason - even after her stellar (arf!) debut - Nude dropped her and at that point she dropped off my radar. After several years without any releases, Astrid Williamson did what anyone without a record deal but with bags of talent would do - she started her own label, Incarnation Records, and released her eponymous second album in 2003. Day Of The Lone Wolf followed in 2006 and you can stream every song from both of those on her website.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have two albums' worth of Astrid to catch up on, so I'll leave you with the ultra-poppy video for Goya Dress's Crush:



Buy Astrid's music here.

1 comment:

Kippers said...

Great stuff - thanks for those! Informative too: who'd have thought there could be two top artists performing under the same name at pretty much the same time?

Actually, isn't there some kind of musicians' version of EQUITY, to help distinguish between two identically-named artists in cases like this? And if not, why not? That way, one of them could have been deemed 'Astrid The Band', 'Astrid Jump Jr' or 'Astrid Love III', or something!