Saturday 29 November 2008

Sugarblast From The Past

Flicking through a stack of old 12" singles the other day I stumbled across a record I'd almost forgotten about in the fifteen years or so since I'd last played it: Mind by early-nineties Workington (it's in Cumbria, geography fans) indie combo Sugarblast. It may have singularly failed to trouble the chart scorers, but I'd go as far as to say that this is a bit of a lost classic. If you liked the UK independent scene of about 1992, I think you're really going to enjoy this.



It was also as a result of buying this single that I first became aware of the following sequence of spooky, U.S. President-based historical coincidences (it was printed on the back cover of the sleeve):

FILL YOUR MIND

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860. 100 years later, in 1960, John F. Kennedy was elected President. John Wilkes Booth was born in 1839. Lee Harvey Oswald was born 100 years later, in 1939. Both Presidents were killed from bullets entering their heads from behind. Both were assassinated on a Friday in the presence of their wives. Lincoln was killed in Fords theatre. Kennedy was shot in a Lincoln Convertible made by Ford Motor Co. Both assassins were murdered before they could be brought to trial. Both Presidents were involved with Civil Rights for negroes. Both assassins were Southerners who held extremist views. Both Presidents were succeeded by vice-Presidents named Johnson, both of whom were Southern Democrats and former Senators. Andrew Johnson born 1808. Lyndon Johnson born 100 years later in 1908.

(Sadly the sequence ended when, unlike his surnamesake Andrew Johnson, Lyndon Johnson failed to end up playing up front for Fulham.)

Sugarblast - Mind mp3

3 comments:

Pete Green said...

I don't remember these, but that's a pretty nice song. Very of-its-time, though, as you suggest. Every single indie record seemed to have that exact same drum beat for about three years!

Kippers said...

Indeed! As I wrote the post I was going to list some songs that it sounded similar to, but then it occured to me that it sounds a bit like everything indie from back then!

roverinexile said...

Any chance of reposting it? I have this 12". I think I interviewed them when they played in Oxford in 1992 with Sensitize. It was never published - I wasn't very good.