Sunday 11 January 2009

Dictionary corner

kingmaker (noun)

1. Warwick: English statesman; during the War of the Roses he fought first for the house of York and secured the throne for Edward IV (Anything to distract him from the hammy onscreen antics of Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner and Danny Devito).

2. an important person who can bring leaders to power through the exercise of political influence; "the Earl of Warwick was the first kingmaker".

3. Indie rock band*, formed in Kingston Upon Hull in the year of our lord 1990, featuring a lead singer called Loz and a couple of other blokes. Here's my favourite song of theirs, Really Scrape The Sky, which comes from the pithily-titled Idiots At The Wheel EP.

Kingmaker - Really Scrape The Sky mp3

*If only their sound had been more rootsy I could have made use of that Folk In Hull headline I've been storing up for weeks. Ah well.

Buy Kingmaker stuff

1 comment:

davyh said...

I had this! But could I find it when I did my 90s CD Singles mallarkey last year? I could not. Harrumph.